10 Acts of Kindness to Close Out 2020
It is the holiday season and this crazy year is coming to a close. This is such a stressful time with more shutdowns, but it's also a beautiful time of year to be grateful for family and to finally say goodbye to 2020! Of course this year has been full of ups and downs for all of us. New moms facing nervous doctor visits and the stress and craziness of homeschool, OMG?! While of course I do not discount the struggles of this year, I also think we can find an opportunity for growth and gratitude in even the most difficult of situations. We want to do everything we can to end this year on a positive note, and help you to do the same.
If we had to come up with a word to capture the spirit of 2020, we could make a strong argument for “unprecedented”. After all, we’ve heard it enough when referencing the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic…
The effect on the economy? Unprecedented.
The effect on our health? Unprecedented.
The effect on our hearts and minds? Unprecedented.
And yet, in spite of so much of this year feeling out of control, we thought it was important to close out 2020 with a bit of intention. To that end, we’ve created a top 10 list of ways you can end the year showing acts of kindness to others. These are small acts that can be completed while maintaining social distancing, but we think you’ll find that small gestures can make a tremendous impact in the lives of others. Taking a moment to focus on kindness and giving not only brightens some else's day, but it will also bring you a smile, fill your heart with gratitude and remind you that there is beauty in even the smallest gestures.
- Check in with a family member or friend you haven’t seen in a while. Phone calls or video chats are novel in the age of text messaging.
- Make a donation to your local food bank.
- If you are able, pay for the order of the person behind you at the fast food or coffee shop drive through.
- Mail a card with a personal note to someone who lives alone.
- Offer a smile or friendly nod to people you pass on the street or in the store. (We’ve all learned how to smile with our eyes since we started wearing face coverings).
- Donate gently used clothing to a local homeless shelter or charity.
- Let someone go in front of you when in line at the grocery store.
- Leave positive reviews for local businesses you love. We know how terribly small businesses have suffered during the pandemic—a positive review is a great way to support them, even if you aren’t able to make purchases.
- Deliver pre-packaged treats to local healthcare workers (we’d give them all gold medals if we could).
- Hold a door for someone behind you.
So much of 2020 has felt out of our control, but there are things we can do to spread a little cheer this holiday season—things that don’t cost anything but can make a difference to our friends and family.
And so, as 2020 comes to a close...even though our celebrations this year might look different…we hope you remember:
There is still good in the world...
Each day on this earth provides you the opportunity to share that goodness with those who so desperately need it...
And hope is never cancelled.
Wishing you and yours a hope-filled holiday season,
The Nalakai Team